Free stuff inside a DVD Drive
While waiting for my arduino to arrive, I’m accumulating various junk useful parts for my future projects.
When it comes to arduino projects, one thing you can’t have enough are motors and servos. And LEDs. Definitely LEDs.
If you have a busted DVD or CD drive, you can sacrifice it to get at least 2 motors. And there’s more free goodies inside!
Inside my busted old NEC DVD-RW I found the following:
- 4x screw dampeners
- 1x two-way switch (on-off-on) Good as a forward-reverse stick
- 4x Lenses. The two circular can be used as a macro lens for cell phone cameras
- 1x Right-angled tact switch
- 1x Disk-type Rheostat (These are rare)
- 1x 3.5mm jack
- 2x headers
- 2x Laser diodes. Good for DIY burning laser devices
- 1x right-angled Green LED with housing
- 1x DC motor
- 1x Stepper motor (Sweet)
- Enough gears to make your own robotic gripper
On top of these parts, there should be 2x strong magnets, -I must have thrown them away by mistake- and a third high-RPM motor that spins the disk. I couldn’t salvage it as it was soldered on a PCB and looked complicated, but maybe someone else can use it somewhere.